Thursday 2 February 2012

Rere water slide and falls













We travelled down to Gisborne, the first city in the world to see the new day, on New Zealand's east coast.

We set off, going via Rotorua and the gorge south from Opotiki. We had heard about the Rere rock slide, a long almost flat rock, natural water-slide, so we took a detour off the main SH2 gorge road and followed unsealed roads for a long way. It was bouncy and dusty, stinking hot as well, so it was a relief when we got to the falls.

A quick change and it was down to the slide, boogie board in hand. Of course, I had to be the first to go on, not by choice, but because Kieran and Louisa didn't have the nerve to try without silly old dad going first!

So, I slipped and slid my way across the rocks in the cold water and watched how it was done. Then I got on the board and away I went. It was fast, a bit scary at first, but a great ride, straight in to a very cold and deep pool of water at the base.

I also provide my mother-in-law with the biggest laugh she has had in years after I slipped showing my son how to start off. I came down really hard on my elbow and it is still hurting today, 6 days later. She laughed so much her sunglasses steamed up! And of course, she caught it all on video much to my chagrin...

After a while riding we set off 2km down the road to the waterfalls for a photo stop. I'm sure you will agree with me that they are beautiful, and we would all heartily recommend anyone to go off the beaten track to visit this lovely area.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Great photos Ste, looks beautiful, about time you updated it.Alex.xxx