Tuesday 18 January 2011

What a weekend!

Me getting airborne on the biscuit!


Weekend plans were thrown in to disarray when our neighbour, then our friends, suggested days out with them over the weekend. We were quite happy to go along with them as it was something different for us all to experience.

Firstly, Saturday morning saw our neighbour coming over to the house and inviting us for an afternoon/evening at Lake Karapiro. He was taking his boat and associated toys and his little portable BBQ, so a picnic was packed, along with the usual stuff.
We met up at Horahora domain and the kids started off "biscuiting" in the big rings being towed behind the boat. It wasn't long before Jake and I had to have a go as well, so we jacketed up and got ready to go. Trying to get in to the ring was another thing however, as I am somewhat bigger than Jake, who used to be a jockey. My first attempt ended up with me slipping off the side and face-planting in the water to a roar of laughter from the assembled throng on the bank. After successfully getting in to the ring, we were dragged away from the shore, only problem was, my ring didn't want to play as I was sat too far forward, resulting in the thing "diving" under the wake. The resulting snap off of the rope nearly took Kieran's head off! After attaching a new rope, we took off again, and it was a lot better this time, with Jake and I bouncing off each other, skidding over the water at a great rate of knots.
Unfortunately for me, I caught the wake and took off, as you can see from the picture. This ended up with me stopping very quickly, getting a lung full of water and being dumped unceremoniously in the lake! A tremendous struggle to get back in the ring and we were off again. However the constant bumping and the water intake was making me feel ill, so I asked to get off, Kieran taking my place after catching it all on video of course!
June had a go in the boat after this, thoroughly enjoying herself in the process. The kids then spent the best part of the afternoon on the biscuits/hot dogs until bbq time and a bite to eat.
After this the kneeboard came out, and what a great time I had on that. After a very wobbly start, once going and the balance point found, I was away, skimming across the lake. After a big circuit it was time to let go of the tow, and unlike our neighbour's daughter who did a neat 360 degree turn, mine was more like a very ungraceful splash.....
Not to be deterred, I had a go later on when the lake surface was like a mirror. The sun was setting over Maungatautari, the mountain was reflected in the lake and it was one of those moments when I can say I was awestruck. I was skidding across the lake surface, weaving from side to side in the wake, looking at the surrounding landscape. After a much better drop off, it was Louisa's turn. Her first attempt was short lived, her face planting in to a wave. She was a bit dubious to have another go, but she did, and had a great run round to great applause from us all. Her face was a picture, and we all agreed that it was an experience we would never forget.
And then we had the next day to look forward to....

No comments: