Sunday 15 July 2012

Mid winter musings

Well, it's winter, not that this stops us doing stuff away from our busy work/study schedule. Jan is incredibly busy with her work courses and post grad course as well, how she finds the energy or the determination to do it all leaves me in awe - we are very proud of her. But all work and no play etc...... School 5-a-side tournaments, netball, basketball, music shows, theatre night out - just some of the stuff we have to do. We had a trip over to Mount Maunganui with the dogs in tow to let them run mad on the beach. It was a nice sunny day but the wind made it a bit cool if you were in it for too long. A big feed of "chip butties" - sandwiches to the uninitiated - and a good dash of fresh sea air certainly blew the cobwebs away. Pictures were of course on the menu, with dear daughter hogging the limelight as usual! A cup of tea, brewed up on my little gas stove before we set off for home was a welcome winter warmer. Work has seen me getting out and about to various places, Taupo, Auckland and other high sites has kept me learning the ropes in my new job. A trip up the hill to Ruru tv/radio transmitter site enabled myself and my colleague to witness an awesome weather spectacle - and I don't use that word lightly! We climbed through the fog to be greeted by a stunning sight, what can only be described as a sea of white, almost snow-like fog stretched as far as the eye could see. Mountain ranges and tall objects peeked out of the white sea in to the bright sunshine, highlighted against the brilliant blue sky. When I can work out how to take the photographs off my phone I will post them, it was amazing. So, with mid winter solstice behind us, we now look forward to spring with the lengthening of days. We can't wait!
The mighty team tap tap
Kieran slots a penalty
Kieran, Jan and Louisa at Mount Maunganui
Louisa posing
Me at Hunua radio site

1 comment:

Alex said...

More lovely pics Ste.x